The paediatric pillar focuses on diseases and disorders of childhood and seeks to evaluate and challenge established ideas and treatments in the emergency and critical care setting.
The team currently leads a 3 multi-site randomised controlled trials across the areas of paediatric airway management, haemostatis resuscitation and procedural sedation. Collaborating with the Paediatric Research in Emergency Departments International Collaborative (PREDICT) and the Paediatric Critical Care Research Group (PCCRG), we collaborate on a number of multisite research projects across the spectrum of paediatric emergency care.
In 2018 the group was succesfull in more than A$2m in completive research grants from a number of funding bodies including the NHMRC, Emergency Medicine Foundation, The Thrasher Research Fund and Gold Coast Health.
Our research focuses on various themes including:
- Improving the safety of paediatric airway management
- Improving recognition, diagnosis and management of paediatric sepsis
- Haemostatic resuscitation techniques in children using viscoelastic haemostatic assays
- The use and indications of nasal high flow respiratory support in children
|Dr Megan King||Paediatric Emergency Physician|
|Dr Christa Bell||Paediatric Emergency Physician|
|Ms Joanna Cronin||Research Nurse|
|Mr Nathan Goddard||Research Nurse|
|Mr Riku Haataja||Research Nurse|
|Ms Richele Hadfield||Research|
Our research themes
The current research themes within our pillar include to:
- understand and inform service improvements for vulnerable populations such as paediatrics, older people, people with mental health problems, and people arriving to the Emergency Department by police
- evaluate models of care that aim to improve service delivery for vulnerable populations such as paediatrics, older people, people with mental health problems, and people arriving to the Emergency Department by police
- evaluate out-of-hospital models of care that aim to improve emergency service delivery
- describe the impact on emergency department presentations from new, or changes made to, government policy.
- Paediatric Critical Care Research Group, Child Health Research Centre, The University of Queensland
- Paediatric Research in Emergency Departments International Collaborative
- Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Society Paediatric Study Group
- Griffith University