We enforce the Act and Food Standards Code (the Code) to ensure food meets labelling, advertising and compositional requirements and standards.
Food Act 2006 (the Act) applies to all Queensland food businesses. The Act aims to ensure:
- food for sale is safe and suitable,
- to prevent misleading conduct; and
- to apply the Food Standards Code (the Code).
The Code is a national standard for food safety and covers labelling, composition and advertising of food as well as food safety practises for business.
What we do
- Provide expert advice on food safety, composition and labelling to industry and the community
- Manage and investigate foodborne illness outbreaks
- Investigate complaints regarding food safety and standards
- Investigate prescribed contaminant in food notifications and food recalls, food contamination, and referrals from the ACCC relating to failing food reports
- Audit state government facilities such as school tuckshops, prisons and hospitals
- Audit Gold Coast food manufacturers
- Carry out food sampling surveys and implement local and state-wide compliance projects
- Partner with the City of Gold Coast. The City monitors food safety compliance through licensing and auditing and handle complaints regarding food safety practices that pose a risk to the public (phone 1300 465 326 or email email@example.com)
- Partner with Safe Food Production Qld. Safe Food Production Qld regulate primary production and processing of meat, eggs, dairy, seafood and horticulture within Qld. Phone 1800 300 815 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. https://www.safefood.qld.gov.au/