- Treatment and testing of sexually transmissible infections (STIs)
- HIV management including access to post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP)
- Sexual health screening
- Sexual health counselling, information, education and advice
- Vaccinations for Hepatitis B
- Certificates for sex work
- Psychology service by appointment.
Services we do not provide:
- Pap smears
- Contraception prescriptions
- Reproductive health
- Transgender therapies
- Termination of pregnancy.
Express Walk-in Services
Our Express Walk-in Services are available if you:
- Do not have symptoms of a sexually transmissible infection (STI)
- Do not require treatment
- Have not been in contact with someone with an STI
- Do not require an appointment to discuss your condition with a clinician
- Have not been exposed to HIV within the past 72 hours
A free STI screening test for men who have sex with men (MSM).
MSM are advised to have STI screening every 3 months if there has been any type of sex with another man in the previous 3 months.
FAST Testing includes:
- Throat swab for chlamydia and gonorrhoea
- Rectal swab for chlamydia and gonorrhoea
- Urine test for chlamydia and gonorrhoea
- Blood test for HIV and syphilis.
Free STI screening tests which may include:
- A urine (pee) specimen for men testing for chlamydia
- Vaginal swab for women testing for chlamydia and gonorrhoea
- Blood test for HIV and syphilis may be considered according to risk
- Our service offers STI screening which is consistent with Queensland Health guidelines. These recommend that chlamydia screening is done once per year and testing for other STIs is considered according to risk. Screening more often may be considered only in consultation with a sexual health clinician. If you do not meet the guidelines for testing, our service may decline screening, but will provide advice for when and where to test.
Sexual Health Check - Certificate of Attendance
Gold Coast Sexual Health Service can provide a Sexual Health Check - Certificate of Attendance, as required by people working in the sex industry. Please phone and book an appointment for this service.
In Queensland, support for sex workers is provided by Respect Inc.
Hepatitis B Vaccinations
Vaccinations for hepatitis B are available to people at increased risk of infection.
For more information, please discuss with your doctor or nurse at your visit.
The counselling service offers assistance for a range of issues which include:
- Difficulties associated with living with HIV
- Coping with a diagnosis of a sexually transmissible infection (STI)
- Sexual difficulties including desire, orgasm, pain, erection and ejaculation
- Sexuality concerns
- Support for workers in the commercial sex industry
- At-risk sexual behaviour
- Support for partners or family members with any of the above concerns.
Booked appointments are required for this service.
Mission and Vision
Mission Statement - Our team is committed to providing inclusive, client focused STI and HIV care and education to people of the Gold Coast community, through innovative evidence- based practice.
Vision Statement - To be recognised as the centre of excellence for sexual health care.