Gold Coast Health’s stand-out nurses and midwives have been awarded for the difference they make to thousands of patients as part of the health service’s International Nurses and Midwives Day celebrations.
Professor of Nursing and Midwifery Dr Anita Bamford-Wade said the 2018 Nursing and Midwifery Excellence Awards were an opportunity to highlight the outstanding commitment nurses and midwives demonstrate to their profession, patients and colleagues.
“With nurses and midwives making up 44 per cent of our workforce at Gold Coast Health, there is no denying they are the backbone of the public health service,” she said.
“Whether it’s educating patients on how to administer their own medication at home, promoting evidence-based practice or providing counsel and support to colleagues, these incredible staff make going above and beyond part of their day-to-day business.
“This year’s nominations came from across the board, once again illustrating the breadth of nurses and midwives working hard to set the bar and raise the reputation of nursing in our health service.”
This year Robina Medical Assessment Unit foundational member Sharyn Brett is one of three recipients of the Amy Enderlin Excellence Award. Sharyn has been recognised for her patient and family-focused approach to managing consumer feedback.
“Sharyn has a compassionate, professional disposition that makes the most anxious of patient families feel at ease while in her care,” her nomination read.
“She humbly provides counsel to others and builds capacity within the team by sharing knowledge from her 40 year nursing career.”
Winner of the Karen Wallen Education and Research Excellence Award Michelle Nardi has been recognised for the support she provides colleagues with their post-graduate studies.
“Michelle is a truly dedicated and giving Nurse Educator. She demystifies training and uses simulation as an educational tool to make a difference to safer care,” a colleague wrote.
The complete list of 2018 Nursing and Midwifery Excellence Awards winners are:
Amy Enderlin Excellence Award
- Registered Nurse – Debbie Royal (Cancer, Access & Support Services)
- Enrolled Nurse– Sharyn Brett (Diagnostic, Emergency & Medical Services)
- Assistant in Nursing – Chantel King (Specialty & Procedural Services)
Elizabeth Moore Community Health Award
- Lisa Feltell (Renal Home Therapies - Diagnostic, Emergency & Medical Services)
- Juanita Hynes Nursing and Midwifery Award
- Kathleen Baird (Nursing and Midwifery – Women’s Newborn and Children Services)
Anne Baker Midwifery Award
- Victoria de Araujo (Specialty & Procedural Services – Women’s Newborn and Children Services)
Mental Health Nurses Award
- Annette Stewart (Palm Beach Continuing Care Team - Mental Health & Specialist Services)
- Peggy Whitehouse (Orchid Unit – Mental Health & Specialist Services)
Karen Wallen Education and Research Award
- Michelle Nardi (Transition Care & Diagnostic Services - Diagnostic, Emergency & Medical Services)
International Nurses Day is celebrated around the world every May 12, the anniversary of Florence Nightingale's birth, while International Midwives Day is marked on May 5.