Radiation oncology, also known as radiation therapy, uses radiation to kill cancer cells and stop their ability to grow and spread. This radiation is controlled and localised to the area of cancer, limiting its damage to healthy cells.
The Radiation Oncology Unit’s services are provided by Icon Cancer Centre in partnership with Queensland Health.
Radiation therapy services include:
- Radiation therapy diagnosis, planning and management
- Radiation therapy treatment for a range of cancer types
We provide advanced radiation therapy technology and techniques including:
- Volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT)
- Image guided radiation therapy (IGRT)
- External beam radiation therapy (EBRT)
- Stereotactic radiation therapy
- Deep Inspiration Breath Hold (DIBH) for left-sided breast cancer
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy [IMRT]
For more information, visit Icon Cancer Centre Gold Coast University Hospital.