The Midwifery Navigators are highly experienced midwives who help vulnerable pregnant women navigate through the maternity care system.
Midwifery Navigators currently care for women with specific health needs in the community.
About the service
The Midwifery Navigator team can see women in the following places and will be determined based on need:
- In the woman’s home
- At one of the many community clinics on the Gold Coast
- Within the hospital.
The Midwifery Navigators are available Monday to Friday 8am-4.30pm, or by email outside of these hours.
Midwifery Navigators offer individualised care and may include:
- Pregnancy and post-birth checks for mother and baby
- Pregnancy bookings at the hospital
- Provide model of care choices and link women with their choice of care provider
- Antenatal, birthing and parenting education throughout the pregnancy and in the postnatal period
- Coordinate pregnancy, birth and post-birth care
- Work with care providers and help manage care which may include doctors, midwives, allied health professionals and specialists
- Referral to other services if required
- Online appointments (if appropriate) using Telehealth
- Links with relevant community groups
The Midwifery Navigators aim to:
- Improve the outcomes for vulnerable women and their families through understanding their specific health needs.
- Be a known and trusted health professional throughout the childbearing journey, offering early assistance to women.
- Support women through pregnancy and early parenting to help them develop the skills to become confident mothers.
Please contact the Midwifery Navigators to find out more information regarding their service.
External Health professionals can refer using the direct referral from the PHN website.
We welcome self-referrals, referrals from family, friends or community groups. Please send an email with the following information to the Midwifery Navigators.
- Name of pregnant woman
- Date of birth
- Home address
- Phone number
- Estimated due date
- Relevant concerns.