Cardiac Catheter Suite
Procedures are scheduled electively for patients coming from home and urgently for those already admitted via emergency into the inpatient unit or in another hospital. The department provides a 12 bed, 5 chair recovery space into which patients are admitted prior to and post procedure.
A list of procedures performed in the CCS with and without X-radiation to diagnose and treat:
- Diagnostic coronary angiography
- Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI- includes stent placement)
- A 24/7 emergency procedure service (infarct angioplasty, pacemaker insertion, etc as required).
- Electrophysiological studies and treatment as required (atrial flutter, supra-ventricular tachycardia and ventricular tachycardia ablation, (expanding services to include Pulmonary Vein Ablation for the treatment of atrial fibrillation);
- Insertion of single, dual and biventricular chamber permanent pacemakers
- Insertion of Automatic Implantable Cardioverter/Defibrillators (AICD)
Structural Heart and diagnostic services for associated lung disease
- Closure of structural abnormalities such as Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) and Atrial Septal Defects (ASD) (Future plans include treatment of valvular disease)
- Right heart catheterisation.
Procedural facilitation for diagnostic and supportive therapy
- Transoespophageal echo
- Insertion of Intra Aortic Balloon Pump (IABP).
Where appropriate, same day diagnostic and interventional procedures (pacemaker battery exchanges) are performed for patients coming from home after a pre-admission clinic visit ensures optimal patient preparation. This ensures a holistic patient approach in which risks are minimised for the individual.