We provide analysis and interpretation of data and surveillance on the distribution, determinants and control of disease in our community.
Our analysis of health status and disease trends is used to control and manage disease threats (e.g. outbreaks or changes in disease incidence), guide the action of the public health unit, influence public health policy, and inform the planning and delivery of health care and community programs.
What we do
- Conduct regular surveillance activities on communicable and non-communicable diseases to identify changes in incidence requiring action
- Analyse and interpret data for unusual or emerging communicable disease threats
- Identify the potential cause of outbreaks of diseases by statistical analysis of data
- Provide epidemiology and data support to all teams in the public health unit
- Undertake and advise others on research and evaluation of public health interventions and projects
- Lead the development of the annual Gold Coast Population Health Profile
- Partner with research institutions for research and development
- Fund research by agencies to address local and regional priorities.