CYMHS Access Team (<18 years) Mental Health
For urgent advice in times of mental health crisis, please call 1300 MH CALL (1300 64 22 55). The confidential telephone triage service provides the first point of contact to public mental health services 24 hours, 7 days a week.
Useful Management Information
- The Child and Youth Mental Health Service (CYMHS) Access Team provides community-based assessment and acute care services for children and young people and their families on the Gold Coast who are experiencing severe or complex psychological, emotional and behavioural difficulties.
- This team also provides ongoing care coordination and therapeutic care for children and young people with severe and complex mental health problems in crisis, who present to the Emergency Department.
- Referrals will be allocated to the appropriate clinic during the triage process.
- Please advise if the child/young person is already linked with one of the CYMHS community teams.
- Following a telephone triage, a child/young person and their family may receive information and/or guidance on how to access other services in the community which will better suit their needs, or they will be offered an appointment with our professional team for assessment or acute care intervention.
Clinician and family resource:
Child and Youth Mental Health (CYMHS) at Gold Coast Health
Are you referring to the right service?
- This service is for children and young people under the age of 18 years, residing within the Gold Coast region who are experiencing severe and complex mental health needs.
Out of Scope Services
The following conditions are out of scope for this service:
- Adults over the age of 25 years
- Residing outside of the Gold Coast catchment area
- Family court assessments or intervention
- Second opinion psychiatric assessments
- Assessment or treatment of primary development disorders (Autism Spectrum Disorder, Intellectual impairment, Pervasive Developmental Disorders etc)
- Any child/young person who is acutely unwell and requiring emergency healthcare should present to the Emergency Department.
Out of Catchment
Gold Coast Health is responsible for providing public health services to the people who reside within its boundaries. Special consideration is made for patients requiring tertiary services or for services that are not provided by their local hospital and health service district. If your patient lives outside the Gold Coast Health catchment area and you wish to refer them to one of our services, please indicate relevant medical or social information that will assist with the processing of your referral.
Send Referrals To
About Smart Referrals
Secure Web Transfer
If you would like to send a named referral, please address it to the specialist listed above, who will allocate a suitably qualified specialist to see the patient. Alternatively, you can view a full list of our specialists.