Pre-admission Clinic for Gold Coast University Hospital (GCUH)Outpatient Services
Please note: This service currently only accepts referrals from internally referring clinicians. Please refer to the 'Are you referring to the right service' section if you are a GP or external referrer to determine alternate referral pathways.
- Referrals are triggered by the patient being booked for surgery.
- For patients requiring an urgent appointment, such as surgery being offered at short notice due to a cancellation or clinical urgency as determined in an outpatient clinic, the Clinical Care Coordinators will contact the Pre-admission Service directly.
Are you referring to the right service?
- This service is for pre-operative assessment of suitable patients undergoing surgery at Gold Coast University Hospital
- This service is conducted at Varsity Lakes Day Hospital
- For pre-operative assessment of suitable patients undergoing surgery at Robina Hospital, see Pre-admission Clinic for Robina Hospital
- Suitability for pre-admission clinic will be determined by the nature of the surgery, the type of anaesthetic and the patient’s clinical condition
- Not all patients will require pre-admission clinic assessment
Out of Scope Services
There are currently no out of scope conditions for this service.
Out of Catchment
Gold Coast Health is responsible for providing public health services to the people who reside within its boundaries. Special consideration is made for patients requiring tertiary services or for services that are not provided by their local hospital and health service district. If your patient lives outside the Gold Coast Health catchment area and you wish to refer them to one of our services, please indicate relevant medical or social information that will assist with the processing of your referral.
Please note that where appropriate and where available, the referral may be streamed to an associated public allied health and/or nursing service. Access to some specific services may include initial assessment and management by associated allied health and/or nursing, which may either facilitate or negate the need to see the public medical specialist.
- A change in patient circumstance (such as condition deteriorating or becoming pregnant) may affect the urgency categorisation and should be communicated as soon as possible.
- Please indicate in the referral if the patient is unable to access mandatory tests or investigations as they incur a cost or are unavailable locally.
- If your patient consents to telehealth, please indicate in the body of the referral.
Patient Must Bring
- Medicare card
- Any concession cards (e.g. Pension, Health Care, DVA, PBS Safety Net, ADF, etc.)
- Current medication list
- Reading glasses, hearing and mobility aids
Send Referrals To
Secure Web Transfer
If you would like to send a named referral, please address it to the specialist listed above, who will allocate a suitably qualified specialist to see the patient. Alternatively, you can view a full list of our specialists.