Termination of PregnancyAdult
Get localised health information, at the point of care.
Sign in to HealthPathways
Useful Management Information
- Routine termination of pregnancy is not available at Gold Coast Health.
- Offer referral to other services as appropriate, especially where risk factors are identified (e.g. young women, women with physical or intellectual disabilities, mental illness, rape or sexual assault, domestic violence, fertility issues and cultural beliefs/values).
- Where a young woman is sixteen years of age or under, greater consideration of an independent and appropriate counsellor/support person being available and engaged should be considered.
- Consider primary health screening or advice. i.e. Cervical Screening, Sexual Health Check, Rubella titre, domestic and family violence or sexual violence, smoking cessation advice.
- Counsel about pregnancy options and contraceptive advice.
- Clinical Excellence Queensland information for health practitioners and services: Termination of Pregnancy
- Queensland Clinical Guideline: Termination of Pregnancy
- 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) is a phone line that provides health information, referral and services to the public
- Children by Choice
1800 177 725 (free call) offers free all-options pregnancy counselling, information and referrals Queensland-wide.
- Women’s Health Queensland
1800 017 676 (free call) offers health promotion, information and education services for women and health professionals throughout Queensland
- True Relationships and Reproductive Health provides expert reproductive and sexual health care.
- Key facts about Termination of Pregnancy Act
Minimum Referral Criteria
|Category 1 (appointment within 30 calendar days)|
Priority appointments for terminations will be given to women with complex health care needs and no ability to have a termination in the private sector where most terminations are performed.
NB: Request for termination service 22+1 weeks have additional complexities and should be discussed with the responsible clinician..
|Category 2 (appointment within 90 calendar days)|
|Category 3 (appointment within 365 calendar days)|
Essential Referral Information
- Summary of relevant circumstances leading to the request for termination of pregnancy
- Medical, surgical, obstetric and psychosocial history
- Menstrual history and last menstrual period (LMP) date (if available)
- Confirm the diagnosis and gestation of intra-uterine live pregnancy by ultrasound
Additional Referral Information
- Blood group and type
- Routine antenatal bloods: FBC, rubella antibody, hepatitis B serology, hepatitis C serology, HIV serology, syphilis serology
- HPV vaccination history
- STI screen result – endocervical swab or low vaginal SELF SWAB. Also screen for chlamydia +/- gonorrhoea NAA, T vaginalis, M genitalium (highly desirable)
- STI screen might not be available before referral but is an essential part of the management.
- History of smoking and alcohol and drug use
- If pregnancy >11 weeks, Down syndrome screening results – screen at 11 to 14 weeks: fetal ultrasound + serum βhCG + serum PAPP-A (results required if completed, not necessary if thinking of Termination of Pregnancy)
Send Referrals To
About Smart Referrals
Secure Web Transfer
Send to: Gold Coast Health Service District
Booking and Referral Centre
Gold Coast University Hospital
1 Hospital Boulevard
Southport QLD 4215
If you would like to send a named referral, please address it to the specialist listed above, who will allocate a suitably qualified specialist to see the patient. Alternatively, you can view a full list of our specialists.