We welcome requests to conduct research and clinical trials from the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device industries; as well as ‘not-for-profit’ sponsors, and contract research organisations (CROs).
We have a large recruitment pool, extensive connections, as well as access to many clinical specialities, facilities, and committed clinical trial staff. This can help you to give patients access to new and improved treatments or therapies, and impact on patient outcomes.
We continue to strengthen our research capacity and capabilities through stronger partnerships with academic and industry organisations.
From first-in-human to Phase IV
Gold Coast Health has over 90 active clinical trials. We have the capacity to undertake clinical trials of medicinal products, medical devices and biologics of all phases, from first-in-human to Phase IV. To find out more about our active clinical trials, access our Clinical Trials list.
The Office for Research Governance and Development can assist sponsors to understand how to:
- start a clinical trial or research project, including the Ethics and Governance submission
- submit monitoring documents
- engage our staff in an initiative they may have
- develop commercial opportunities in Research and Development (R&D) in conjunction with the Gold Coast Health and Knowledge Precinct.
Why partner with us?
For each clinical trial, staff work together to oversee and conduct the study in accordance with International Conference on Harmonisation Good Clinical Practice (ICH-GCP) guidelines and ISO 14155:2011 Clinical investigations of medical devices for human subjects - Good Clinical Practice.
Our team includes:
- Principal Investigators
- Associate Investigators
- Clinical Trial Managers
- Clinical Research Coordinators
- Research Nurses
- Research Assistants
- Clinical Trials Pharmacists
- Clinical Trials Pathologist.
We can conduct clinical trials across the following therapeutic areas/clinical specialties:
- Critical care & Trauma
- Endocrine and Metabolic diseases
- Gynaecology & Obstetrics
- Haemotology & Oncology
- Infectious diseases
- Medical devices
- Nephrology, Renal & Urology
- Neurosciences & Central Nervous System (CNS)
- Respiratory & Immuno-inflammatory
- Vaccine & Virology.
We have various facilities such as:
- Integrated digital health care and PowerTrials
- Medical imaging services and trial-related reporting capabilities
- Phlebotomy services
- 24-hour Pathology services (NATA accredited).
- Drug storage (ambient or refrigerated, locked, continuous temperature monitoring with alarm to 24/7 support)
- Commercial grade -20°C and -80°C Freezers
- Secure document storage
- Refrigerated and non-refrigerated centrifuges.
Gold Coast Health is the leading public healthcare service in this part of south-east Queensland, which services over 590,000 residents. We accept patients from all Gold Coast areas extending north to Beenleigh and receive patient referrals in Northern and Regional New South Wales to the south. Our facilities include Gold Coast University Hospital, Robina Hospital, Varsity Day Surgical Hospital, health precincts and community clinics. We are a primary site conducting teletrials for regional and remote areas.
We have the following services on-site:
- provisional level 1 trauma centre
- emergency departments and intensive care
- mental health
- neonates, paediatrics and maternity
- comprehensive medical inpatient treatments and services
- surgical and interventional procedures
Our staff participate in Clinical Trial Networks. These are groups of clinical researchers who identify important clinical questions and design large multi-centre clinical trials to answer them. Our key collaborations include:
- Australasian College for Emergency Medicine Clinical Trials Group
- Australasian Kidney Trials Network (AKTN)
- Australia & New Zealand Breast Cancer Trials Group (ANZBCTG)
- Australia & New Zealand Intensive Care Society (ANZICS)
- Australasian Stroke Trials Network (ASTN)
- National Trauma Research Institute (NTRI)
- Paediatric Critical Care Research Group (PCCRG)
- Palliative Care Clinical Studies Collaborative (PaCCSC).
Further opportunities to collaborate with us exists through the:
- Gold Coast Health and Knowledge Precinct (GCHKP)
- Griffith University Clinical Trial Unit
- Icon Cancer Centre
- Current listing of Icon Cancer Centre clinical trials.
- NHMRC accredited Human Research Ethics Committee
- Research Governance Office and legal services.
- Research Finance administration (read our research fees schedule).