Medicines and poisons
We enforce legislation to minimise harm from misuse or inappropriate supply or access to medicines and poisons, as well as providing advice and issuing permits.
What we do
- Handle enquiries and investigate complaints or incidents regarding misuse and non-compliance of scheduled medicines and poisons
- Audit pharmacies, hospitals, drug wholesalers, poisons sellers and people with as-of-right authority to obtain, possess, sell and administer medicines and poisons
- Provide technical advice to people or groups on legislation to protect health safety from the misuse of medicines and poisons
- Issue permits under the Health (Drugs and Poisons) Regulations 1996 including strychnine and cyanide permits
- Implement local and state compliance plan activities for medicines and poisons.